Re: Use of Launchpad

2009/11/15 Lars Helge Øverland <larshelge@xxxxxxxxx>

> Lately there has been put a lot of blueprints into LP, without any form for
> discussion, eg.
>

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/dhis2/+spec/gis-polygon-centroid
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/dhis2/+spec/indicator-targets-estimates
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/dhis2/+spec/administrative-organizations-projects
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/dhis2/+spec/full-range-indicatortypes
>

> The way I see it, before we add blueprints we should evaluate up front
> things like 1) do we really need the functionality? 2) how do we design the
> solution? 3) is the functionality based on factual user requirements?  3) is
> it realistic to implement it within a reasonable time- and resource-frame?
>
> If the answer is "no" for many of these questions for a lot of blueprints
> it makes LP less valuable as a tool for project collaboration and resource
> management. I am encouraging everyone to raise request features on the dev
> list before posting to LP.

Thanks for correcting my perception of LP, Lars - my thinking was that we
would want to have everything there, and then assign importance and
milestones to it, as well as discuss. But I can change to initial postings
here. The main reason I prefer the other way is that things relatively
easily get lost on the list (sometimes there are no replies, sometimes even
after a long discussion does not lead to a blueprint, even if the original
problem persists).

I guess I have felt the lack for a good public place to put feature requests
that I have not yet had the time to write down in a detailed way. However, I
can continue to record these in a wiki, as I have been doing for GIS-specifc
features:
http://www.openhealthconsortium.org/wiki/doku.php?id=openhealthmapper_minimum_requirements

Regards,
Knut