Re: Data browser functionality

Hi,

I agree that the data browser results can be misleading to an untrained eye.
A first thing to do is to actually provide a heading above the data (count)
table that says something like "Number of values reported for:". I agree
that we can call it something else, and "Data summary" is not a bad name. (
I am also not sure the browse by orgunit actually works, at least it doesn't
seem to aggregate up the counts as most districts have '0' values in that
view. )

I must say that I actually find the data entry screen quite useful for
looking up raw data a given orgunit-period-dataset combination, and find it
a very fast tool to switch between periods, orgunits and datasets for such a
view. When it comes to other views into the raw data, like a few data
elements over many periods or other pivoted views I agree we need something
more like a web pivot tool.

I actually think we should build on and possibly rename the pivot table tool
in Reports to "Data browser". After all we are not interested in  developing
a fully fledged pivot tool, and data browser reflects more of what that tool
is. Let's try to brainstorm what kind of functionality we would have to add
in order to come up with a proper data browser. Here is a few things I can
think of right now:

- support for data elements, not just indicators
- filter by dataset, not only groups
- automatic datamart export triggered in the background (like with report
tables)
- filter (parameter selection window like datamart export etc.) to select
any data element, period, orgunit  (at the same level) and then get an
ad-hoc pivot table from that

What else?

Ola