Re: New installer available: Testers wanted

I have used the enterprise DB installer to do this, but the 8.4 series
(even 8.3) there are native postgres binaries. This was why previously
you needed to use Cygwin. This is no longer the ace.  You do not need
to use the Enterprise DB installer to do this. I am contemplating
using the binary distributions, and combined with some of the scripts
that Knut wrote a few years back, we would not necessarily need to use
the Enterprise DB installer. However, there are some advantages to
using it, namely that it comes prepackaged with PgAdmin, and
StackBuilder,which will be quite useful for some folks.

Regards,
JPP

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Saptarshi Purkayastha <sunbiz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3 March 2010 12:55, Jason Pickering <jason.p.pickering@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi there.
>>
>> First of all, Postgres is installed as a native windows service.
>> Cygwin is not involved. Postgres does not NEED to be run as a service,
>> but there are some pros/cons about doing this way. A big con is that
>> you need administrative access to the machine (which the Postgres
>> installer will require). However, there are different ways of doing
>> it.
>
> Is the service part of EnterpriseDB?? Because the windows installation of
> postgres 8.3 that I have uses cygwin script to start/stop...

Jason P. Pickering
email: jason.p.pickering@xxxxxxxxx
tel:+260968395190