Re: Front end engineering ...

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Bob Jolliffe <bobjolliffe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Looking at our ajax stuff while tracking ognl issues I notice that we
> have two copies of request.js:
>

> ./dhis-web-maintenance/dhis-web-maintenance-dataset/src/main/webapp/dhis-web-maintenance-dataset/javascript/request.js
> ./dhis-web-commons-resources/src/main/webapp/request.js
>
> It looks like the dhis-web-maintenance-dataset version was "forked"
> off the original and a few changes made.  I noticed this because I was
> trying to set the content type on a request header only to find that
> it wasn't supported in our (two!) homegrown ajax request components.
> Two suggestions [which are somewhat contradictory :-) ]:
>
> 1.  We should merge the request.js changes back into
> web-commons-resources taking care not to break the many dependencies
> 2.  We are already using jquery quite extensively in the frontend,
> which has well developed and widely used ajax components.  Perhaps we
> should simply retire request.js entirely.
>
> Thoughts?

I'm aware of it and its horrible :-) I suggest we do 1) as we have a lot of
code which relies on commons/request.js. The last year we have been doing
ajax through query and we will continue doing that. In the long-term we
should consider to upgrade all js code to jquery.

If you feel up to it then fix it... If not write a bug and I will assign it.

Lars

Bob.