Re: DHIS and logistics management (Was: Re: New requirement from Sri Lanka)

Dear Thuy,

I'm not very familiar with the requirements in Sri Lanka, but I have a few
general comments. First, the categories and combinations should be used
when we want to aggregate them into a data element that is a natural total
of these categories. For stock, this is usually not the case, as we do not
want to add start balance, received, issued, and monthly requirement (in
this case). The total will be meaningless. The average monthly requirement
would probably also be a semipermanent data element I think.

Second, regarding the parent/child/grandchild totals, I think it should be
possible to set aggregation start levels, meaning you could use the same
data element definitions for all levels without running into double/triple
counting. But others would need to fill in about this.

Aside from this, I would recommend some changes to the form attached, if
possible. If these forms are not final, I would recommend adding some
aggregate information on stock outs, such as days out of stock. But if
this is generally not a problem, then the few instances can be derived
from the other data elements.

Regards,
Johan