Re: Adding Vumi integration to DHIS-2

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 8:30 PM, Lars Helge Øverland
<larshelge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Okay so I misunderstood a bit. How does one send messages through
> vumi? Can you make http posts to some resource?

There are a variety of ways of sending messages via Vumi, but, yes,
one of those is via posts to an HTTP resource.

> We are using Spring as an adhoc solution for plugging, just implement
> the interface, define your implementation as a bean in beans.xml
> (src/main/resources) and Spring will auto-wire it and invoke the
> MessageSender.sendMessage method when dhis sends a message. It will be
> feasible to have a VumiMessageSender class which is doing its thing.
>
> Given that vumi has a web api, another approach would be to have a
> generic HttpMessageSender which can be configured somehow to send http
> messages to URLs. Up to you. Let me know what you think.

Assuming we implement this (and it's up to scratch) do you see any
obstacles to having such a VumiMessageSender or HttpMessageSender
incorporated in DHIS2's repo? I've chatted to Tobias and Colin from
RapidSMS so there's some hope of a single HttpMessageSender supporting
both Vumi and RapidSMS.

What about receiving messages via Vumi / RapidSMS? Is that relevant to
DHIS2 currently?

Schiavo
Simon