"Atomic" data validation rules

Hi Devs,
I came up against an issue today when looking at implementing a legacy
database in DHIS2. In the old system, there are about 75 rules. The rules
in the past have been applied at the atomic level, meaning that each and
every data element category combination value is compared with a counter
part. As an example.

Number of persons currently receiving ART (including pregnant women)
is greater than or equal to
Number of individuals NEWLY initiating ART (including pregnant women)

Each of these data elements are disaggregated by Gender and three age
groups, and the validation rules need to be applied to each respective
category combination options (not the totals).

Although I do not know exactly how many rules we would need to to this, it
is surely at least several hundred. I have not really come up against this
before, and need to see if anyone has expericience with how the system
behaves with "large" numbers of rules.

I think it would be good to think about how to we could make the rules be
applied within category combo options , without having to explicitly define
each and every rule. Thoughts?

Regards,
Jason

Follow ups