GSoC 2014 - Server Side Apps

Hello Mentors

I am a software engineer from New Delhi, India. I'll be going for PhD at
UCSC starting Fall 2014. Therefore I'm eligible for GSoC 2014 and
fortunately have the best available time to participate. I have been
working on research projects since around 3 years now and I have been the
primary author for the associated research publications as well.

My research has been primarily in the field of ICT4D and I design the
entire technical layout of those systems. Therefore, I have a lot of
development experience along with system architecture design.
Professionally, I have worked as a Database Administrator for the past 1.5
year. My job completes this month and I'll be completely available for GSoC
this summer.

Working in ICT4D, I've particularly enjoyed the application of ICT systems
in almost any field. DHIS2 is like a senior project in ICT4D and I'd love
to contribute to the project. Regarding my GSoC application, given my
interests, knowledge and experience, project titled "Server Side Apps"
seems very good. I have worked on server-side development for my own
projects and have been developing moderately large systems. I am very
comfortable with web based development and have used REST and JSON at
various levels. I have a good understanding of web technology stack. My
most comfortable programming language is Python but I am quite comfortable
with Java as I build Android applications also. Rest everything I can learn
before project start. I'll be applying for this project at GSoC 2014. There
are few things I would want to discuss before preparing my final proposal.

   1.

   Are there any specific non-Javascript clients among the ones listed
   whose development I should prioritize? If not, then I'll develop the
   proposal for all with similar urgency.
   2.

   Am I expected to submit a structured Use-case in some specific format
   for the proposal or I can provide a self-structured detailed proposal?
   3.

   Do I have to provide some initial code describing a small module of my
   expected implementation or explained procedures will do?

It'd be really helpful if these doubts could be cleared so that I can
proceed with proposal preparation. My profile and projects can be seen at
http://rakshitagrawal.wordpress.com/
Thanks

Rakshit Agrawal

Follow ups