Re: Meta-Data Import complains of missing shortname and name

Proper PATCH is only available in DHIS 2.19+, in 2.18 we supported "PATCH"
 for a single property.

curl -X PATCH -d "{\"name\": \"updated name\"}" -u user:pass
http://localhost/api/dataElements/ID/name

Please note that the URL ends with the name of the property you are
updating.

--
Morten