java.lang.IllegalArgumentException thrown when attempting to launch Event Visualizer

Hi Folks,

I have deployed DHIS2 v2.26 (but I am seeing this same issue seen on v2.29)
on an AWS EC2 t2.medium instance running Ubuntu v16.04.
The build went fine and I can log into the system with the default account
and was also able to restore an old psql dump I need work on (dump was
taken on a v2.26 system).

I'm experiencing an issue with both the dashboard and when trying to launch
the event visualizer.
The dashboard does not render anything and the EV looks as though it just
hangs after launching.

The catalina.out log shows the following entry each time I attempt to
switch between the dashboard and the EV:

09-Jul-2018 00:16:10.370 INFO [http-nio-8080-exec-6]
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service Error parsing HTTP request
header
 Note: further occurrences of HTTP header parsing errors will be logged at
DEBUG level.
 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid character found in the request
target. The valid characters are defined in RFC 7230 and RFC 3986
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11InputBuffer.parseRequestLine(Http11InputBuffer.java:479)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service(Http11Processor.java:687)
        at
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessorLight.process(AbstractProcessorLight.java:66)
        at
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$ConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:790)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1468)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketProcessorBase.run(SocketProcessorBase.java:49)
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

I searched online and it seems to indicate an issue with the
requestTargetAllow property in *catalina.properties* - see the following
thread:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41053653/tomcat-8-is-not-able-to-handle-get-request-with-in-query-parameters/44005213#44005213

I've updated *catalina.properties* as described, stopped the tomcat
service, reloaded the daemon and started again but I get the same issue.

I believe the psql dump file is good and the restore when ok, because the
same archive and restore process on a DHIS2-LIVE local version (2.29) works
as expected.

Has anyone experienced the same or a similar issue?
Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Many thanks,
Kevin