dhis2-documenters team mailing list archive

Re: Contributing to documentation (2.29, French)

Hi again Martin,

I started to try out a re-organisation of the repository to better support
translations, but I'm afraid I then got side-tracked with our latest
release.

I think the easiest way for you to start would be simply to make of copy
(clone) of the markdown docs repository and branch off of the 2.29 branch,
then replace each chapter as you work on it by adding a _FR suffix, for
example, in both the index file and the actual referenced file (of course).
So, if you started with, say, "using-the-data-entry-app.md", then your
dhis2_end_user_manual_INDEX_FR.md file should look like:

<!--DHIS2-SECTION-ID:index-->

!INCLUDE "content/common/about-this-guide.md"
!INCLUDE "content/user/about-demo-server-live-package-and-database-design.md"!INCLUDE
"content/user/using-the-data-entry-app_FR.md"
!INCLUDE "content/user/control-data-quality.md"
!INCLUDE "content/user/using-reporting-functionality.md"
!INCLUDE "content/user/analyze-data-in-pivot-tables.md"
!INCLUDE "content/user/data-visualizer.md"
!INCLUDE "content/user/using-the-data-visualizer-app.md"
!INCLUDE "content/user/using-the-gis-app.md"
!INCLUDE "content/user/using-the-maps-app.md"
!INCLUDE "content/user/managing-dashboards.md"
!INCLUDE "content/user/messaging.md"
!INCLUDE "content/user/set-user-account-preferences.md"

Then you can work on the content/user/using-the-data-entry-app_FR.md file,
and so on. You can of course change them all at once, but I think you get
the point!

That will at least give us something that works, and shares the resources.
The new index file will have to be added to the build script to actually
build it! - but there are many good markdown editors/previewers, so you
don't need to build the full documents yourself immediately to see the
results.

I will try to finalise the new structure, and at some point we can merge in
your files and I can map them to the new structure, and you can continue
with that?

Do you think that would be OK?

What sort of timescales are you looking at for starting/completing?

Just one note on the 2.29 docs! - someone recently pointed out a problem
with several missing chapters in the 2.29 branch. I temporarily put our
previous documentation back in place for that release. *I'll try to fix
that problem by early next week, then you will have a safe point to branch
from!*

Kind regards,
Phil

*Philip Larsen Donnelly*