1.4 and 2 migration/co-existence issues

Hi Brian,

Jason Pickering in Zambia has a lot of experience with 1.4 to 2 migration or
co-existence and can probably provide some help here on the list.

Here is a quick overview of 1.4 and 2 issues.

There are two scenarios as far as I can see.

Scenario 1)  One-off migration from 1.4 to 2

Some things you need to consider (there are probably more...)
* You can use the 1.4 database (data file) import into an empty v. 2
database
* Consider redesigning some of the most tabular forms to make use of
multidimensional data elements (categories, category combinations)
* Aggregation rules are different from 1.4, so make sure you understand
these.
* You can create report tables that will look exactly like your PivotViews
queries in the 1.4 datamart for simple use of Excel pivot tables, or create
such views directly in the 2 database. Pivot tables will then look exactly
the same for both versions (Excel is Excel).
* You can add more dimensions to your data analysis by using data element
group sets and categories and retrieve these through the use of report
tables.

Scenario 2)  Co-existence of 1.4 and 2, e.g. 1.4 for at district level and 2
as a central server based national repository for web reports, dashboards,
GIS etc.

Some things you need to consider (there are probably more...)
* Use database import from 1.4 as a first step
* For continuous monthly data updates use the 1.4 XML import to 2.
* Since 1.4 dictates all meta data definitions multidimensional data
elements is not an option here. For multidimensional data analysis you can
specify date element group sets (dimensions) and groups (dimension options)
and use these in report tables.

Some common issues for both scenarios:
* Be careful with aggregation of population data if you have data for the
same data element (e.g. Total Population) on two levels. Need to specify
aggregation levels for these data elements. You will have to redo this every
time you overwrite your metadata from 1.4 (should not be necessary to often
though) as 1.4 has a different way of dealing with this.
* Double check aggregation operators for your data elements as aggregation
rules are more strict in 2 than in 1.4. Data elements that should not be
summarised over time when aggregated must have the type average, e.g.
population data, equipment status, beds ++. If you set the type of e.g.
"Total Population" (which has annual values) to SUM then a monthly indicator
value will estimate a monthly value from that annual value, divide by 12. If
set to AVERAGE it will use the annual value without any modification. Such
estimate or break up of annual or quarterly values does not exist in 1.4 so
typically all data elements have type SUM although many of the strictly
speaking should have been set to AVERAGE. So just make sure all AVERAGE data
elements actually have aggregation operator AVERAGE and not SUM. Also check
aggregation operators for your numerators and denominators for your
indicators. These are derived directly from the data elements, but this can
get messed up when doing 1.4 import because of the above mentioned
differences with SUM/AVG.

This page provides some sort of overview of all the docs on DHIS 2, which is
being centralised and better organised at the moment:
http://208.76.222.114/confluence/display/DOC/Home

Ola Hodne Titlestad |Technical Officer|
Health Metrics Network (HMN) | World Health Organization
Avenue Appia 20 |1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland | Email: titlestado@xxxxxxx|Tel:
+41 788216897
Website: www.healthmetricsnetwork.org

Better Information. Better Decisions. Better Health.