Re: [Dhis2-devs] DHIS2 setup problem

Hi Roger

On 12 July 2010 01:04, Friedman, Roger (CDC/OID/NCHHSTP) (CTR)
<rdf4@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Folks --
>     As you may have heard, Ghana Health Service is enthusiastic about
> installing DHIS2.  On Thursday and Friday I got to meet with their
> implementation team and tried to set them up with a working version of DHIS2
> with which to practice.  The setup instructions are attached.
>     Although I got the data into the DB (it can be seen using ODBC with the
> username/password), DHIS2 does not seem to see it, I can't even get a list
> of hierarchy levels.   Unfortunately, I neglected to get the tomcat log, but
> will do that right away.
>     Any help you could give me with resolving this would be great.

As others have pointed out, a view of the tomcat log should give some
indication of what is going on.

If it is just a working implementation you are looking for so that
people can practice on their laptops then by far the easiest
deployment option is to use the dhis2-live setup which is available on
dhis2.org website.  It is designed so that you just need to unzip and
go.  Because it uses an embedded web and database server there is no
tomcat/mysql/postgres setup to be done.  It is also relatively easy to
reconfigure this running setup to use a 'real' database like mysql or
postgres.

If you are looking at more of a production setup then you need to make
some longer term decisions regarding platform stack.  I would
recommend that the national setup which is likely to be most robust
(and link you with many others on a similar stack) is to run with
tomcat+postgres+ubuntu linux server.  There are places also running
mysql on a windows 2003 platform (notably India) but I would not
really recommend it.

Clearly these sort of decisions will also depend on the hosting
environment, available support skills etc. and would be something
which might need to be planned with the IT support department (such
that it might be).   Dorothy Gordon, Edem Kossi and others would be
able to link you up with good ubuntu server support skills if
necessary.  But production deployment is probably still a few steps
away from where you are currently.  As I say, I would suggest you try
to get dhis2-live to run first - then phase 2 would be to customize
the hibernate.properties to link it to a postgres database.

Regards
Bob