DHIS2 setup problem

Folks --
    As you may have heard, Ghana Health Service is enthusiastic about installing DHIS2.  On Thursday and Friday I got to meet with their implementation team and tried to set them up with a working version of DHIS2 with which to practice.  The setup instructions are attached.
    Although I got the data into the DB (it can be seen using ODBC with the username/password), DHIS2 does not seem to see it, I can't even get a list of hierarchy levels.   Unfortunately, I neglected to get the tomcat log, but will do that right away.
    Any help you could give me with resolving this would be great.
Thanks, Roger