Multiple Forms, Same Data

Folks –

    In our Ghana implementation, for some childbirth information, teaching hospitals use one form (Form A) and other facilities use another (Form B).  For some data which the two forms gather in common, Form A is more disaggregated (A1[x,y]) than Form B (B1[x]).  The data for A1 appears as a grid with totals for A1[x,*], A1[*,y], A1[*,*], which are calculated variables that appear on the form and the dataset report.  Similarly, the data for B1 appears as a list with a total for B1[*].  A1 and B1 are to be aggregated for all statistics and indicators.  Am I correct that I need to use either another calculated variable (Q1 = A1+B1) or the expression A1+B1 in all my statistics and indicators?  If I want to coerce Form A data into a Form B dataset report at the aggregate level, I have to create a new dataset with all calculated variables of the form A1[x,*]+B1[x]?  Am I better off adding an N/A value for y and collecting A1[x,N/A] on Form B?

Thanks, Roger