Assigning a category / category combo to a data element.

   Hi all!

     I'm new to DHIS2, and going through the process of migrating a paper
HMIS to a DHIS2 data schema.

     I have a tabular data structure where I can identify the data elements,
and the categories/dimensions of those elements.  Data elements are such as
"Number of patients testing positive for disease X" and categories are such
as "in phase A", "in Phase B", etc.

     I'd like the data entry form to show up with different cells to enter
"Number of patients testing positive (in phase A)" and "Number of patients
testing positive (in phase B)", as it seems they should if the categories
are defined.  However, I'm having trouble making this happen.

     The documentation at several points makes references to "assigning a
category to a data element" but I cannot find any place where it described
how this is done, nor can I seem to make it happen after playing with the
interface for about an hour.  This is all very confusing, and I'm hoping
someone can explain how it works?

    Do I need to create a category combo?  Why are category combos I create
not showing up in the dataset section form's "category combo" dropdown,
ever?   Do categories associate with data elements or with (groups, sets,
datasets, dataset sections), etc?  How do all of these entities relate?

Follow ups