From: "Knut Staring" <knutst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, Mar 24, 2011 09:29
Subject: [Dhis2-users] Setting up a computer as a server
To: "Ola Hodne Titlestad" <olati@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Jason Pickering" <jason.p.pickering@xxxxxxxxx>, <dhis2-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Stephen Gbanyan" <mambu9@xxxxxxxxx>

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 8:19 AM, Ola Hodne Titlestad <olati@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Stephen has already been installing several offline instances of DHIS 2
> using the installer (with java,postgres, dhis live). I guess what he is
> asking here is how a server set up (accessible over Internet or a local
> network)  will be different from such offline installs.
>
> Knut, didn't you write this up somewhere?

Well, I think Jason's point is that there isn't really much difference
between a desktop and a server installation as long as you go with
Tomcat and Postgresql and you are only running one instance of DHIS2.
Of course, there are issues around how to make a nicer URL and how to
make the server available on (exposed to) the internet. But as long as
you have a local area network, all you only have know  the address of
the server (on Windows, open a command window and type ipconfig). You
can then access the DHIS2 from any machine on the network by pointing
the browser to http://192.168.X.X:8080/dhis (replace the XX).

My earlier write-up was for a Ubuntu server, Jason has incorporated
this in chapter 2.1.4 of the user manual.

> We should expand the installation chapter in the implementation guide to
> include more on this topic, e.g. specifics of a Windows server setup.

Agree that there is more to be added, like how to make the server
visible on the internet, and some security considerations. Also
reverse proxy using Apache in combination with Tomcat, mulitiple
instances on the same server, database clustering and load balancing.
Anything else?

Knut