Re: [Dhis2-devs] Data visualizer module feedback

Thanks Jan. We look forward to the improvements in the coming versions.
John.

________________________________
From: Jan Henrik Øverland <janhenrik.overland@xxxxxxxxx>
To: John Ojo <jnojo@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Lars Helge Øverland <larshelge@xxxxxxxxx>; DHIS 2 developers <dhis2-devs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "dhis2-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dhis2-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 4, 2011 6:16 PM
Subject: Re: [Dhis2-devs] [Dhis2-users] Data visualizer module feedback

Hi John, thanks for the quick response. Please see my comments below.

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 18:12, John Ojo <jnojo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Lars,

>The data visualizer looks great. Would like to suggest the following:
>

>1. Please kindly remove the data visualizer from among the options for Start page under the Appearance settings page. This is because,
>    like we had in the past with the GIS module, the data visualiser loops back to itself and effectively locks the user out from being able to     exit from the data visualizer once it is selected as the start page. You may try it and see.
>

>2. Ability to insert charts drawn in the data visualizer into the dashboard.

Yes, we are planning a new dashboard and this is the main reason.

>3. Chart Title (and may be sub-title) for the data visualizer charts.

The ExtJS chart engine does not offer a dedicated title option, but I just found a way to work around it so this will be available in trunk shortly. Currently, the chart title is simply displayed on the toolbar, next to the "update" button.

>4. The Chart Type buttons/icons on the top-left portion of the data visualizer window don't seem to do anything. Would like to see the
>    Example chart change to reflect the user's choice when any of the chart type icons is selected.

The visualizer is designed to be as network friendly as possible. That's why the chart type buttons don't execute anything (just think of them as a way to select the chart type). The chart is not updated unless the user specifically clicks the "update" button. Otherwise, if the user e.g. wants a different chart type and different indicators, and selects the chart type first, the chart is unnecessarily updated (and data transferred) twice.

>5. The message in the information box eg. 'No data values',  'Form is not complete', that appears when one clicks the Update button
>    is too short (and cryptic). We should consider adding more details as to what the user should do to get the visualizer display the chart
>    depending on the circumstance.

Improved notifications is already on the 2.6 roadmap. In trunk the "Form is not complete" is replaced by something a bit more informative, like "No indicators selected", "No data elements selected" etc, but this will definitely be improved further.

>These are the few that readily comes to mind. May add more as I take the data visualizer through much deeper tests.

Please feel free to provide feedback any time.

Thank you so much to all the developers for making our lives easier with DHIS2.