For example; Data Element "Population", with catcombo age+sex, would be used for M/F <1, 1-4, 5-14, 15-25 etc

Then for any combo of these, like <5 or <14, make an indicator with the expression: "Population <1"+"Population 1-4" + etc. You can add whatever you want, to construct your indicators <5 Male, <5 Female, <5 Total etc. Then you have these indicators to use whenever you would like to, without the need to calculate them each time.

Johan

On 02.05.2012 11:03, Hiatt, Mr Tom (WPRO) wrote:
Thanks, Ola. That’s very helpful to know what to consider when
structuring this. I’m using UN population data which up to now they’ve
made aggregate nicely. I have dropped categories that overlap figuring I
can calculate them later (e.g. children 0-14 years). So I think it
should be okay.

Tom

*From: * olatitle@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:olatitle@xxxxxxxxx] *On Behalf Of
*Ola Hodne Titlestad
*Sent:* 02 May 2012 16:16
*To:* Lars Helge Øverland
*Cc:* Hiatt, Mr Tom (WPRO); dhis2-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*Subject:* Re: [Dhis2-users] [Dhis2-devs] DHIS version 2.8 released

Hi Tom,

If I understand you correctly you have a data element called
"Population" and a categorycombination with Age+Sex linked to this data
element?

If so, you should make sure that the total of the category option
combinations (All ages and sex combinations) add up to the total
population.

The total for the data element is used in many places in DHIS 2 and if
this total is not the correct total population you might confuse the
users and also make indicator and report creation more complicated than
it has to be.

Typically the age groups for population is overlapping and not complete
sets (e.g. <1, <5, female 15-49 (WRA), total), that is why I ask.

If you have a complete set of disaggregated population data then
categories will work fine.

If not, I would use separate data elements for the different population
groups.

Ola

-------

Ola Hodne Titlestad (Mr)
HISP
Department of Informatics
University of Oslo

Mobile : +47 48069736
Home address: Vetlandsvn. 95B, 0685 Oslo , Norway . Googlemaps link
<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Vetlandsvn.+95B,+0685+Oslo,+Norway>

On 1 May 2012 14:20, Lars Helge Øverland <larshelge@xxxxxxxxx