Re: Experiences sending SMS alerts based on datamart indicator thresholds

Hi Randy,
We are doing something similar to this, but have not go so far as to
actually send out the SMSes yet, although we will soon. I have
developed scripts using R which interface directly to the DHIS2
database and extract out which reports are missing. Currently, the
server will email a  specially formatted text file  to  the designated
national programme officer, who will send out the SMSes in bulk though
the local Zambian network to remind people to report. We have tested
the functionality with the Clickatell API, and this also works, but as
I said, we have not put either method into actual practice yet.

I know of no way to do this through DHIS2 directly, although it might
be possible through  the WebAPI. However, I am sure in order to
automate this, you would need some script to interface into the API,
effectively an alert system.

It is not particularly difficult using this approach I think, and I
guess R and/or Python would both be effective tools for this purpose.

Best regards,
Jason