Re: Population Definition

In Rwanda, we have tried to keep things simple by entering only total population figures for province, district, sector and health facility levels for each year.

We have then created indicators for each of the major target population groups by using census breakdowns and multiplying the total population by the following factors (we're still waiting for results of 2012 census to update some of these):

Children 0 - 11 months

4.10%

Children 1 - 4 years

12.10%

Children 5 - 14 years

27.50%

Children < 15 years

43.70%

Population >= 15 years

56.30%

Children under 5 years

16.20%

Expected Pregnancies

4.10%

Women of reproductive age

23.60%

If your administrative units are very diverse this approach might not work, but it certainly simplifies analysis and people are less inclined to use smaller denominators to make their performance look better.

Randy