 From: Jason Pickering <jason.p.pickering@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Lars Helge Øverland <larshelge@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "dhis2-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dhis2-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:08 PM
Subject: Re: [Dhis2-users] Any suggestions for partner reporting in DHIS-2?

As Lars says, there are lots of opinions. We have been running a partner reporting system in Nigeria for a few years now. There are lots of challenges, including a lot of central administration mostly due to the way that DHIS2 delegates authority down the hierarchy. There was a decision made there to maintain compatibility with the government system (also using DHIS2) and use their hierarchy. If we had used a partner-based reporting hierarchy (i.e. Funding agency (e.g. USAID) -> Implementing partner -> Facility) things would have been much easier. This would allow the partners to maintain their own branch of the hierarchy, without any need for central administration, and not require the use of potentially dozens of categories which change over time. Personally, I have had a lot of issues changing the category options, and would not recommend this approach to dealing with the partners entering data. If a partner based hierarchy is used, they can at least
 generate reports and use the data visualizer (and potentially even the GIS if you have facility coordinates).

This obviously creates problems if you need to integrate the data with a geographically based hierarchy, but with 2.11, you can import just the data values. If the facility level UIDs are maintained in sync, then having two instances (one with a geographically based hierarchy and one with a partner based hierarchy) should be feasible. As long as the UIDs are in sync, then data exchange between the two systems should be possible, as long as the UIDs of the facilities are kept in check. Of course problems may occur if two partner s are reporting on the same activities in the same facilities. The M&E people tell me this should never happen however, i.e. NGO 1 and NGO 2 both performing PMTCT services in the same facility. There are certainly possible complications with this approach, but having to create and maintain what Lars suggest also sounds like a very bitter pill to have to swallow. I personally think some sort of post-data entry data transformation
 would be a better idea, if compatibility with the government system (geographically based) is an issue. Otherwise, the partner based hierarchy potentially solves a lot of problems.

My two cents anyway.

Regards,
Jason

Hi Randy,