Re: Maps of outbreaks

Dear Knut and all,
Very interesting discussion. I would like to share my thought also on how
Sahana DMS included this. We had the concept of 'situation awareness'
-which I think is a well agreed term in surveillance. When counts reach a
certain level, it becomes an outbreak.

So, I think we may not need to introduce the data element 'outbreak', but a
means to define a threshold to any data element or indicator once
aggregated (eg. low hemoglobin in age group 1-14 years).

In creating each data element or indicator in DHIS2, we can flag it whether
its under surveillance. Also, another feature could be for the facility to
set thresholds to data elements or indicators marked for surveillance. Then
it can trigger notifications apart from mapping the cases on the map. Map
legend would be able to provide additional visual clues whether the
condition is under surveillance or reached the threshold (outbreak).

'Revers' of this process we used for inventory management. User can define
re-order levels and Sahana does the estimations and sends alerts.

Roshan