Spreading population growth by period

Hi all,

We have a couple of programs that look at their population coverage indicators each month (e.g. ANC 1 coverage rate), yet we only update populations once a year (entering the data or adding projected figures in January).

The problem is when you look at coverage monthly you always see a dip in January (see chart below).  Is there an established way to spread the population by period?  I've got the aggregation operator for the Population data element set to "Average" - but presumably that would only have an impact on yearly data if we were analyzing more than 1 year.

I can smooth  this outside of DHIS-2 by dividing the annual population growth rate by 12 and applying a monthly increase to the January population before calculating coverage.  What are the other options?

We could enter monthly population projections into the DHIS-2 - but seems like a lot of extra effort and at the facility level they only re-estimate population once a year.

[cid:image005.png@01CF4F35.28E326F0]

Randy Wilson