From: GREVENDONK, Jan Peter Kamiel <grevendonkj@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 2:13 PM
Subject: RE: Validating Denominators for Immunization Program
To: "Danovaro Alfaro, Maria Carolina" <danovaroc@xxxxxxx>, David Brown <
dbrown@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Singogo, Dr. Fwasa" <FSingogo@xxxxxxxx>, "
bidinitiative@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bidinitiative@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 Thanks for raising this important and timely discussion.

Fred started this discussion with stating that “Accurate coverage rates are
important for decision-making, planning and designing strategies to
increase reach.”

That is true, but as previous posters such as Carolina and David have
mentioned, accurate denominators and thus accurate coverage rates are
really hard to obtain, especially at subnational level. This problem is
worse in countries that already achieve high coverage.  I love this table
from one of David’s papers that shows what the impact of +/- 10%
denominator uncertainty is on coverage estimates: it clearly shows that for
countries with 80% + coverage, administrative coverage estimates are a
blunt measure that are more likely to mislead than to inform policies such
as district prioritization. Furthermore, I also think that there is no
really good way to improve denominators, and even if there were, that this
is most often something that goes beyond the responsibilities of
immunization program people. Even if you had a good way to estimate real
populations at district and health facility level, you would still often
need to use the “official” denominators instead.

 I therefore agree with Carolina: we should try to understand the
limitations of the data, and focus on what we can do, not on what we cannot
change.. Some concrete ideas:

·         Looking at *numerator trends* is often more informative than
calculating coverage: the reported numbers of doses is a harder number than
coverage: if that drops or stagnates then the program is probably in
trouble.

·         The *target for a health centre* could be to immunize 5% more
children than last year, instead of reaching 95% of an unknown population.

·         *Focus on reducing drop out*, as that is not dependent on
denominators

·         Calculate a “*BCG denominator*”: i.e. use an early dose like BCG
or DTP1 for which you have high confirmed coverage, and infer a denominator
from that

·         As Hassan said: look at past *consumption rates*, not (only)
target population for planning purposes

·         Validate the target population with the reported numbers of doses
administered during *campaigns*. (The latter is often a bit higher because
of doses given to people outside of the target range, but it can still give
an idea)

·         There are finally also experiments going on with the use of
*technology* to estimate demographic information, especially in Nigeria and
for the use of polio: this encompasses the use of GIS with feature
recognition, cell phone traffic picked up at local GSM antennas etc.

Hope to see more people weigh in on this denominator discussion!

Jan Grevendonk

Technical Officer, Strategic Information Group

Expanded Programme on Immunization (EPI)

Department of Immunization, Vaccines and Biologicals (IVB)

Family, Women's and Children's Health (FWC)

World Health Organization (WHO)

20 Avenue Appia, 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland

O: +41 22 79 12589