Re: Fwd: DHIS2 and Docker

Hi Paulo

I've given some thought to running dhis2 as a docker container but in the
end reached the conclusion that lxc provides a much more straightforward
container technology for running dhis2.

So for example in Rwanda they run a number of lightweight lxc containers :
one for the nginx proxy, one for the main hmis instance, one for
miscellaneous other instances, one for a mysql database (not for dhis2),
etc.  Everything based on ubuntu 14.04.

Experience so far is that the containers run well,  are straightforward to
manage and allow very flexible provisioning of cpus and ram.  Also they are
extremely light because, like docker, they all make use of the same running
kernel.

I'd be interested to follow how you get on with docker images.  I am pretty
sure creating a docker image for this, based on a generic tomcat image,
will be very easy to do.  But dealing with configuration, access to log
files etc to me just seemed more awkward than using lxc.   But please let
us know how you get on.

Regards
Bob