How to pull data from a remote xml data source (dhis2 web API) into JasperReports

I've been struggling to get data from the web API into JasperStudio to
create standard iReports.

I've created a new datasource of type: XML document (remote)

I can pull data from sites that don't need authentication into the iReport,
such as this rss feed from bbc:
http://feeds.bbci.co.uk/news/rss.xml?edition=int#

then I can create a report that runs fine using xpath2 as the query
language.
(See info here:http://community.jaspersoft.com/wiki/remote-xml-datasource)

I can also use curl to get the data I need as an xml file - such as this,

curl -u admin:district "
https://apps.dhis2.org/demo/api/dataValueSets.json?dataSet=pBOMPrpg1QX&period=201401&orgUnit=DiszpKrYNg8
"

But I can't manage to format the url correctly to pass username and
password for DHIS-2 within iReport.  I'm sure it is something with the
parameters.

Has anyone else sorted this out already?  Would be very useful for a
variety of reporting tasks.

--
*Randy Wilson*
*Team Leader: **Knowledge Management, Data Use and Research*

--
*This message and its attachments are confidential and solely for the
intended recipients. If received in error, please delete them and notify

Follow ups