Re: Setting up Point of Service sites

A point of service in our world is sort of like a specialty treatment
center within a facility, a hospital, etc. pertaining to HIV Testing and
Counseling.  It could be as specific as "In-patient for Adult Males" or a
general "Outpatient" or it could be "Family Planning" or "VCT". I'm dealing
with 2 issues at the moment: addressing the immediate need of a specific
country for reporting this week and devising a consistent way to set up all
countries' POSs.

For the specific country issue we are setting them up as another
organisation unit level. We can change that later if need be, but we needed
a solution now. This country has very few POS types (2 or 3) and very few
sites with POS (14-15). We have been having some confusion with categories
for this country and are in the midst of cleaning some of that up so I
didn't want to add more categories.

I agree that if POSs are not consistent across all Org Units a data set
categoriy could cause potential confusion or data entry errors.

Creating POSs as Org Unit levels below facility level is how we do it in
our Universal system. Some of our countries use other sub-facility Org Unit
levels for other purposes in their DHIS instances and deal with POS in
other ways. Data set category is one way but they also have a form where
they just extract the data and assign it to the proper POS in other systems
if need be -- not very efficient. I'm trying to determine how best to apply
a consistent structure for a Universal configuration. For now we have mixed
solutions in place.

Does DHIS have a limit in regard to the number of Org Unit levels can be
set up?

*Laura E. Lincks*
Database Manager/Developer
ICAP - Columbia University