Re: [Dhis2-devs] dhis version 2.23 is released

Knut,

That makes no sense - nobody does area calculations on lat/long (i.e. the
geographical graticule), you must first project the lat/long data into a
suitable projection and then calculate areas.

For smaller areas (e.g. small and medium-sized countries) you would
typically use UTM (Transverse Mercator), but that is completely
inappropriate for larger areas. Just think about it: on a standard global
Mercator projection, Greenland looks twice as big as India - whereas the
reality is that India has a 50% larger area than Greenland.

Besides, if you do calculate areas using lat/long and decimal degrees, the
"result" will be squared decimal degrees - which means nothing to anybody.

Regards
Calle