Re: Multi-select dropdown or multi-select checkbox in tracker capture forms

Jason and Prosper,

Thanks for sharing the idea of how it can be implemented. However, this
works for a few options. In IDSR implementation I have encountered more
than 30 symptoms. I think, we need to figure out how this can be achieved.

Thanks.

Alex

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 3:00 PM, Jason Pickering <
jason.p.pickering@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The reason is has to be separate data elements is because of analytics. If
> you have a single data element with multiple choices, there is currently
> not a way to aggregate all of these. So lets say you have a question like
>
> What symptoms does the patient have?
> a) Headache
> b) Fever
> c) Fatigue
>
> If there was some sort of UI component like you are talking about with a
> single data element, we would need to record something like
> Headache; Fever; Fatigue
> in a single row in the database. When we aggregate it, well, it would not
> be really clear how we would do this. We would need to parse out all of the
> options and then somehow transform them into
>
> Headache = 2
> Fever = 4
> Fatigue = 5
>
> The of course you have more complicated situations like patients who have
> both Fever and Fatigue.
>
> So, the way it has to be implemented now in DHIS2, is through a boolean
> data element.
>
> Does the patient have a headache?
> Does the patient have a fever?
> Does the patient have fatigue?
>
> Aggregation becomes just a matter of counting how many of these are true.
>
> So, you could implement some sort of custom control do to this, but in the
> end, you would need completely separate data elements, but maybe this was
> not really your question, since you were asking about a UI component?
>
> Currently, its not there, but has been asked for several times.
>
> Regards,
> Jason
>

> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 1:00 PM, Prosper BT <ptb3000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Dear Paul,
>>
>> Thanks for sharing this, its some blue print being discussed not yet
>> implemented, we hope it can come soon especially for IDSR - symptoms. The
>> work around right now is to design all the different options are either
>> attributes or data elements depending on where they are going to be used
>> with data type Yes Only
>>

>> [image: Inline image 1]
>>
>> ​Or if you are using a custom form, you can implement it your way
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> ​
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 1:24 PM, Arun Paul <paul.arun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> I am configuring a program using Tracker Capture. It requires data input
>>> using a multi-select dropdown or multi-select checkbox. Example for such a
>>> field is "Symptoms" or "Drugs given for treatment". For these fields, I
>>> need to select more than one option as answers.
>>>
>>> Is this UI component already supported?
>>>
>>> Else, how can I support this through some work around or
>>> code-customization ?
>>>
>>> Please let me know.
>>>
>>> ​Thanks in advance
>>> ,
>>> - Arun Paul

>> Prosper Behumbiize, MPH
> [...]

Alex Tumwesigye

Technical Advisor - DHIS2 (Consultant),
Ministry of Health/AFENET  | HISP Uganda
Kampala
Uganda
+256 774149 775, + 256 759 800161
Skype ID: talexie

IT Consultant (Servers, Networks and Security, Health Information Systems -
DHIS2, Disease Outbreak & Surveillance Systems) & Solar Consultant

"I don't want to be anything other than what I have been - one tree hill "