Fwd: External evaluation results of MyChild Solution based on Smart Paper Technology in Afghanistan

Smart Paper Forms "integrated with DHIS2, CRVS, LMIS"

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Rustam Nabiev <shifoclub@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 7:35 PM
Subject: Re: External evaluation results of MyChild Solution based on Smart
Paper Technology in Afghanistan
To: BID Initiative Discussions <bidinitiative@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Chilunga,
The biggest challenge was to take away existing paper forms from health
workers' work processes. Once that was done, health workers were keen on
using Smart Paper Forms and we didn't encounter resistance from them. On
the contrary, health workers were keen to integrate the new solution as
part of their daily routines, they seem to love it and we understand why.
I would equally love it if someone created a solution which would
potentially save 60-70% of my routine admin time.

When MoPH was informed about the total cost of ownership, data quality,
admin time saved for health workers and other benefits of Smart Paper
Technology, MoPH decided to take away existing paper forms (registers,
tally sheets, monthly reporting forms) from health worker's work processes.

Regarding transfer/integration of new work processes into existing health
system structure, it took some time to figure out locally adapted processes
to update, print, distribute and archive Smart Paper Forms. It was also
important to monitor whether health workers were able to build capacity to
new team members and community health workers how to properly use Smart
Paper Forms, which we measure by amount of errors made per month. It was
also possible to transfer maintenance of scanning stations, as scanning
stations are placed in district/provincial health office. We know that
continuous technical support and continuous need for capacity building are
two big bottlenecks for sustaining eHealth interventions.

What we are learning at this stage is how to build a capability of the
health system to do continuous quality improvement to improve quality of
care (this is Shifo's understanding of data use). It's incredibly important
to get this right, as it can have a big potential in improving quality
of care and health outcomes.

Shifo's target is that 95% of health facilities would be doing continuous
quality improvement to improve indicators that are below the target. Let's
see if Shifo's Data4Action interventions can help in reaching that target.

Smart Paper Technology is a solution to digitise hand-recorded smart paper
forms, which would create Electronic Birth and Immunisation Register for
each health facility. Smart Paper Technology has a potential to digitise
health records within Primary Healthcare. Smart paper forms are used at the
point of health service delivery to register individual children, assign
unique ID and record delivery of child health services. Smart Paper
Forms are then scanned and digitised at the scanning centre, and processed,
after which digital data is generated and integrated with DHIS2, CRVS, LMIS
and other systems. Here is a short description of how this machine works:
https://shifo.org/doc/rmnch/RNMCHSolutionProcess.pdf

Hope I answered your questions.

Kind regards
Rustam