divmod-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Separating Vertex from Divmod repo

On Jun 26, 2013, at 11:18 AM, Ying Li <cyli.ying.li@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I wasn't sure what kind of information was in there, or how to get at
> it, but I imagine the commits could have issue tracker info like this?
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14518594/migrate-bazaar-to-git-with-commit-properties-to-link-bugs-fixed
>
> Is there any such info, and would it be ok to lose it?

I don't even know off the top of my head how to determine if such information exists, so I doubt it's super useful.  Personally, I think it would be fine to lose it.  99% of the data on Vertex was in Subversion anyway, and what little data we might have added by fixing Launchpad bugs and linking to them is of relatively little value.

Besides, even if this metadata conferred some small advantage, your Github branch already has *big* advantage over launchpad: it has continuous integration :-).

I'd also say we should move it under the <https://github.com/twisted> umbrella, since leaving it on your personal page is obviously not great.  There's not much point any more of an independent "Divmod" organization (or, even worse, a separate "Vertex" organization), as far as I can see, it's just more overhead.  Putting it under the Twisted org will likely generate more exposure from people randomly browsing and hopefully get some more contributors interested.  (Plus, hasn't vertex motivated, like, 90% of the new features in Twisted in the last 5 years?  Endpoints, twisted.protocols.tls, twisted.internet.ssl.*Certificate*... seems right that its association become official.)

-glyph