documentation-packages team mailing list archive
Mailing list archive
[Bug 1351092] Re: Configuration of the Droid Sans Fallback font
Seems to work for me, after I installed the two packages all characters
in Chinese text are displayed correctly in KDE applications, for example
Kate, only using Droid.
The output of "locale" is mixed again, I am not sure if that is due to the update of language selector or because I tried several languages before to try different locales. Same goes for the language actually used, it is an weird mix of English and German even within the same application, for example the Kickoff-Menu.
/etc/default/locale is only set to LANG=de_DE.UTF-8, so I don't really know why I have that new issue, or how to change it.
As part of that, running locale gives "locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to
default locale: No such file or directory" (in German) on top of the
normal output lines, same when installing new packages.
"locale: Kann LC_ALL nicht auf die Standard-Lokale einstellen: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
You received this bug notification because you are a member of
Documentation Packages, which is subscribed to fonts-android in Ubuntu.
Configuration of the Droid Sans Fallback font
Status in “fonts-android” package in Ubuntu:
Status in “language-selector” package in Ubuntu:
There are currently several open issues related to the use of Droid
Sans Fallback for rendering Chinese content:
* Two mixed fonts when rendering Chinese in KDE/QT apps with Droid
* Droid Sans no longer preferred font for Chinese
* Chinese in Ubuntu Touch should use Heiti style sans serif font
Unlike e.g. fonts-wqy-microhei, the fonts-droid package installs a
bunch of fonts, of which only one is needed for Chinese. In an attempt
to sort things out I have built the fonts-android source package in my
PPA with the DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf font broken out to a separate
binary package named fonts-droid-cjk. The PPA also includes a version
of language-selector where the changes in version 0.129.2 have been
To test it in Trusty, you should:
* Uninstall the fonts-droid package
* Install fonts-droid-cjk and language-selector-common from my PPA
My own tests indicate that the change to language-selector due to bug
#1335482 was a step in the wrong direction. With
DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf as the only installed font from the Droid
Sans family, you get rid of possible confusion that might have
resulted in the issue reported in that bug.
$ LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8 fc-match -s 'sans-serif' | head -n 5
DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf: "Droid Sans Fallback" "Regular"
uming.ttc: "AR PL UMing CN" "Light"
uming.ttc: "AR PL UMing HK" "Light"
ukai.ttc: "AR PL UKai CN" "Book"
DejaVuSans.ttf: "DejaVu Sans" "Book"
Also, if we would take this route, it might be easier to fix a
configuration that makes Droid Sans Fallback work well with qt apps.
(This is pure theory/hope so far.)
Looking forward to your comments.
To manage notifications about this bug go to: