← Back to team overview

documentation-packages team mailing list archive

[Bug 1351092] Re: Configuration of the Droid Sans Fallback font


On 2014-08-01 07:40, Lukas Bunsen wrote:
> Seems to work for me, after I installed the two packages all
> characters in Chinese text are displayed correctly in KDE
> applications, for example Kate, only using Droid.

Without further config tweaking? Yes!! :) Finally some progress.

@Rex: Even if fonts-wqy-microhei just was added to the touch seed, it
would be valuable to know if fonts-droid-cjk would work on the phone.
Could you please test and let us know?

So this seems to be all about packaging/configuration. The question is
what to do next...

(@Lukas: As regards the locale, I think the Kubuntu region GUI allows
you to set language and country separately. This has resulted in the
non-existing locale name "de_GB.UTF-8". Try to find Great Britain and
replace it with Germany.)

You received this bug notification because you are a member of
Documentation Packages, which is subscribed to fonts-android in Ubuntu.

  Configuration of the Droid Sans Fallback font

Status in “fonts-android” package in Ubuntu:
Status in “language-selector” package in Ubuntu:

Bug description:
  There are currently several open issues related to the use of Droid
  Sans Fallback for rendering Chinese content:

  * Two mixed fonts when rendering Chinese in KDE/QT apps with Droid
    Sans fonts

  * Droid Sans no longer preferred font for Chinese

  * Chinese in Ubuntu Touch should use Heiti style sans serif font

  Unlike e.g. fonts-wqy-microhei, the fonts-droid package installs a
  bunch of fonts, of which only one is needed for Chinese. In an attempt
  to sort things out I have built the fonts-android source package in my
  PPA with the DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf font broken out to a separate
  binary package named fonts-droid-cjk. The PPA also includes a version
  of language-selector where the changes in version 0.129.2 have been

  To test it in Trusty, you should:

  * Uninstall the fonts-droid package

  * Install fonts-droid-cjk and language-selector-common from my PPA
    at https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj/+archive/ubuntu/droid-test

  My own tests indicate that the change to language-selector due to bug
  #1335482 was a step in the wrong direction. With
  DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf as the only installed font from the Droid
  Sans family, you get rid of possible confusion that might have
  resulted in the issue reported in that bug.

  $ LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8 fc-match -s 'sans-serif' | head -n 5
  DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf: "Droid Sans Fallback" "Regular"
  uming.ttc: "AR PL UMing CN" "Light"
  uming.ttc: "AR PL UMing HK" "Light"
  ukai.ttc: "AR PL UKai CN" "Book"
  DejaVuSans.ttf: "DejaVu Sans" "Book"

  Also, if we would take this route, it might be easier to fix a
  configuration that makes Droid Sans Fallback work well with qt apps.
  (This is pure theory/hope so far.)

  Looking forward to your comments.

To manage notifications about this bug go to: