Re: Fwd: Added temporary fix for initial values for convection-diffusion. [...]

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 08:09:51AM +0200, Garth N. Wells wrote:

> Hi Anders,
>
> Thanks for your response. I'm not fully convinced that FFC + FIAT will be able
> to solve everything, but we'll see!
>
> I've attached a .form file which involves just the mass terms for the shallow
> water equations (I've left the rest out). FFC doesn't seem to handle
> it.

I will take a look and see what the problem is.

> Will it
> be possible to write forms that involve different test and trial functions?
> Unlike Johan Hoffman's NS solver, don't want to split up the solution of the
> momentum and continuity equations.

Yes, definitely. You can already do that but I haven't tested it
yet. (And there are a couple of lines that need to be added to the
NewFEM class in DOLFIN to build two lists of dof maps, not just one.)

> When I have the shallow water module well tested and stabilised, and
> let you know.

Thanks.

> I read a paper from Robert Kirby about matrix evaluations. It
> assumed that the Jacobian for an element is constant, even for
> higher order elements. Will you adopt this assumption in Dolfin?

Yes, but only initially. Once we have everything in place for standard
Lagrange elements of arbitrary order (the missing part is to generate
the dof maps for higher order elements correctly), we will start
adding support for other elements and maps, including nonconforming
Crouzeix-Raviart, Hermite, Nedelec, BDM, BDFM, Taylor-Hood, ...