Re: installation of DOLFIN 0.5.7 on Debian

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Anders Logg wrote:

It shouldn't be a problem getting PETSc + DOLFIN running on
Debian. I'm using Debian myself.

[snip]
It can be a little tricky to get PETSc installed, since they don't follow the standard configure + make. (On the other hand, they are using Matt Knepley's new BuildSystem which is pretty powerful.)

I wonder why they aren't using scons.

[snip]
Download the PETSc tarball and unpack it somewhere (I suggest you do
it in /usr/local/lib/). Then do the following:

   export PETSC_DIR=`pwd`
   ./config/configure.py
   make BOPT=g_c++
   make BOPT=O_c++

You might run into some difficulties along the way (like getting MPI
set up correctly) but the PETSc configure script should help you with
this.

This is not what I was doing. I'll try that. However, this doesn't look like what the Debian package is doing either.

[snip]
When you have PETSc installed, just do

   ./configure
   make

in the DOLFIN directory to compile DOLFIN. (And then an optional make
install to install it on your system.) DOLFIN assumes that PETSc is in
/usr/local/lib/petsc/ so either make a symlink to where you compiled
PETSc or give the full path name with --with-petsc-dir=<path>. DOLFIN
also assumes that you want PETSc BOPT=g_c++, so if you want to compile
with PETSc BOPT=O_c++, use the flag --with-petsc-bopt=O_c++.

Yes, but does PETSc require the sources in order to compile, or just the static/shared libraries + headers?

[snip]
It's getting ready. There will be a new version later today (or early
next week, as soon as a new version of FIAT comes out) with many
improvements and fixes.

What is FIAT?

If you want to try out this version, download the latest CVS snapshot of DOLFIN from

   http://www.fenics.org/pub/software/dolfin/cvs/

Ok. Have you considered moving to Subversion (or something else) at some point?

Take a look in the subdirectory src/demo/poisson/ of DOLFIN, which
contains a simple demo program with some instructions.

Things are starting to stabilize enough now for us to write a manual,
but I can't promise that we'll have it ready until after the summer.

What does Johan + Johan say? Are you willing to contribute to the
manual?

Are you asking me?

Are the developers willing to answer questions about the details of the library?

Yes, of course.

Good to know.

I see DOLFIN is currently using Petsc 2.2.1. However, 2.3 is the most
recent release, and the most recent version packaged for Debian is 2.2.0.
Are there any plans to switch to using 2.3 in the near future? Do you have
any Debian packages of more recent versions of Petsci or of DOLFIN
available?

Yes, we will switch to 2.3 as soon as possible. I'll gladly accept any
patches for this.

You mean patches in order for DOLFIN to work against PETSc 2.3?

There are no Debian packages yet, but I would like to see DOLFIN (and
the rest of the FEniCS projects) added to Debian at some point.

Well, I usually want things that I am using packaged.

I'm going to try using the preexisting packaging for Debian 2.2.0 and convert it to 2.2.1 (if I can). There are tools like svn-buildpackage that can help with this.

It seems best to stay with the current Debian packaging system, since it is presumably policy-compliant etc.

The question then, is whether the DOLFIN developers are willing to help get DOLFIN to compile against this version out of the box, which I think would be nice.

You said that DOLFIN would not work with the current Debian package. Is this just because it is out of date, or did it never work with it?

I'm tempted to try to package 2.3, but this may be harder, plus DOLFIN is not actually using it yet.

Packaging DOLFIN itself should be comparatively easy, since it uses a standard build system.

I've heard rumors that the PETSc developers are planning to integrate DOLFIN into PETSc for version 3. Do you know anything about this?

                                                                Faheem.