Re: [PETSC #13286] Make pcimpl.h a public API and [PETSC #13287] Re: installation of DOLFIN 0.5.7 on Debia

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Matthew Knepley wrote:

Barry Smith <petsc-maint@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

     Now we are into design issues, but I will chance it anyway. I think packages
without source are silly and pointless. Open source is about having all the source
for everything, especially in the scientific library regime. I therefore agree
with the Gentoo philosophy much more than Debian. PETSc is already packaged the
way I would like it packaged and is designed to work in that mould. I do not believe
the other models work as well, and exist mostly out of inertia rather than consideration
of the benefits and drawbacks.

Of course, the source needs to be available etc. That is hardly the issue.

However, I'm talking about compiling library B against library A. In this case, the standard Unix model (nothing to do with Debian or Gentoo) is that B should not need anything from A except the library files themselves (static and/or dynamic) and the header files. Again, this has nothing to do with Debian or Gentoo. If you don't believe me, please ask on any Debian or Gentoo development list, or anywhere else, for that matter.

The only relevant difference between Gentoo and Debian is that Gentoo generally sets things up so that people can easily do recursive builds from source, and customize the source as necessary. In Debian it is not so easy, but can be done. This has nothing to do with the matter under discussion, which is whether one should compile library B against the source of library A.

For debugging, one usually compiles the library with debugging symbols.

Please carefully consider the standard models before discarding them, since that way lies chaos. If everyone does something different, then putting together an operating system becomes an impossibility.

Please also bear in mind space issues, and the fact that (generally) inclusion in a OS like Gentoo or Debian ensures wider distribution.

Thanks for your attention.                                 Faheem.