Re: request for assistance with Debian package

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005, Anders Logg wrote:

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 01:11:43AM +0200, Johan Jansson wrote:

You can pass --with-petsc-bopt=O_c++ to DOLFIN's configure. I think
it's a good idea to keep linking to the debug version though, since it
should make it easier to debug user-reported errors.

  Johan

The BOPT thing is removed in PETSc 2.3.0 and also DOLFIN 0.5.8.

Difficult to say if DOLFIN should be built with or without -g in the
package. Maybe at this point we should keep -g since things are
developing quickly. On the other hand, someone willing to send us bug
reports and help debugging the code will probably be able to download
the source and compile with -g, while the package is for "production
use".

Debian policy is for the standard version of a library to be available *without* debugging symbols. Usually, if people want a debugging version to be available, they make a package called lib*-dbg.

Are you saying that the option of compiling without different versions of PETSc is not available as of 2.3/0.5.8? In that case, which ones doe it use, and is there any point in shipping different versions?

Does DOLFIN itself not have an option to switch -g on/off? If not, does it compile with or without -g?

                                                                 Faheem.