request for assistance with Debian package

Hi,

I've been working on a Debian DOLFIN 0.5.7 package, compiled against my PETSc 2.2.1 Debian package.

There are a few minor points with which I would like assistance.

1) I'm having problems with cleaning the build tree. 'make clean' does not completely clean the tree. I've tried the other clean targets I see, but none seem any better.

This is important when building a package, for reasons I can elaborate on if necessary.

I could give more details, but I believe the following exercise will make the situation clear.

Unzip the DOLFIN tarball. Put all the files under version control. Build library. Make clean. Check to see how many files remain which the version control system does not know about.

I see quantities of stuff that does not get removed. Among these, lots of Makefiles and .a files in src.

Also, 'include' and 'lib' directories are created at the top level of the source tree, and header and library files respectively are put in them. These are not removed either.

Would it not be easier to put these files directly into the install targets? Why is it necesary to create these directories?

2) Some files look like they should not have been shipped with the source.

There are some Makefiles in the demo directories, though these, like all the others, look like they created by automake/autoconf, since there are Makefile.am and Makefile.in's present.

Also, was it necessary to ship config.guess and config.sub? These files appear to be modified by the build. I'm fairly clueless what these are used for, sorry.

3) I can try to figure out the build-depends and depends on my own but I am lazy. So, can someone tell me what they should be?

Build-Depends: Required at build time.
Depend: Required at run time.

3) DOLFIN only creates static libraries by default. How can one generate shared libraries?

Thanks in advance.                                               Faheem.

Follow ups