Re: convdiff demo

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 07:43:19PM -0400, Faheem Mitha wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We just took a look at the convdiff demo. It looks very impressive.
>
> I was wondering if you could suggest some simple exercises to try so we
> can understand the code better.

I suggest looking at the demo program in src/demo/poisson/. This is a
complete self-contained program for solving Poisson's equation with
DOLFIN (and FFC). There will be a manual shortly after the summer.

> As a first step, how difficult would it be to modify the shape of the
> dolphin? I'd need to know how it was generated, of course.

DOLFIN does not have a mesh generator (but you can automatically
create simple meshes like the unit square and unit cube) so you need
to supply DOLFIN with a mesh in the form of an XML file. See the
examples in data/meshes/ for the mesh format.

The mesh for the dolphin was created with MATLABs PDE toolbox. I have
also generated some meshes earlier with GiD. Unfortunately, both are
proprietary. Does anyone have experience with generating meshes for
DOLFIN using an open-source tool?

The next big thing we need to work out after the release of 0.6.0 is
the mesh library. Matthew Knepley at Argonne is working on a mesh
component for FEnICS which I think will have interfaces for both
Triangle and TetGen (and others). If this turns out ok, we will use
this as a mesh backend for DOLFIN (with appropriate wrappers).