Additional cell types

Greetings everyone.

I was recently introduced to dolfin and have eagerly been playing with it. Most of the problems I work with are on hexahedral meshes, so I got to poking around seeing what it would take to add hexahedral/quadrilateral cells (additionally aiming to familiarize myself with the code). I've been working closely following what has been done for the existing Triangle and Tetrahedron derivatives of GenericCell.

I am mailing this list to first make sure this doesn't exist elsewhere and I am not duplicating effort (I didn't find anything similar in the archives of this list over the past few months), and also to find out what the general procedure is--do I just try it, run test problems and e-mail the new source files/diffs to the mailing list if it works? Is this of interest to other people?

I was also slightly concerned about the constructor for the class Cell which currently generates new Triangles/Tetrahedra based only on the number of nodes with which the constructor is called. I was wondering if this needed to be tweaked to something that knows about the cell type (it came up when I was going through it and Tetrahedra and Quadrilaterals both have four nodes).

Thanks,
Harish

Follow ups