Re: Additional cell types

Hey!

The plan is that we will use the Sieve library, developed resently by
Matt Knepley and Dmitry Karpeev, to represent meshes in DOLFIN. Sieve
is very powerful and can represent both simplicial meshes and
hexahedral/quadrilateral meshes (and other mesh topologies). It's also
completely parallel.

You can read about Sieve in the document called "PETSc and unstructured
finite elements" available at http://www.fenics.org/docs/.

Sieve is currently available in the development version of PETSc (in
the subdirectory src/dm/mesh/sieve) which can be downloaded from

    http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-2/developers/index.html

I have just started to look at Sieve and it takes some effort to get
used to the new abstractions (chain, cone, closure, support, star etc)
which are different from the usual vertex, edge, face, cell.

As with the linear algebra, we will most probably create some wrapper
for Sieve in DOLFIN that presents a simplified and specialized
interface suitable for DOLFIN. I don't know the exact time frame, but
I hope we will be well on our way before the end of the year.

As always, any comments, suggestions or code is always welcome. Check
out Appendix C in the manual for some simple guidelines on how to
contribute code to DOLFIN.

/Anders