Re: [PETSC #13881] Re: nls: [...]

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Anders Logg wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 09:54:00AM -0500, Satish Balay wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Anders Logg wrote:
> >
> > > But it seems strange that the version number is still 2.3.0 if it is
> > > actually different from the original 2.3.0. Why not change the version
> > > number to avoid confusion?
> >
> > We do update the patch level [stored in petsc/include/petscversion.h]
> >
> > The reason for the current approach [update the release tarfile with
> > patches] is:
> >
> > - when doing a fresh install very few people appear to download
> >   [tarfile+patchfile]
>
> This is probably true but I don't see a conflict with updating the
> name of the tarball to show that it has been patched.

Currently this info is already in petsc/include/petscversion.h as
mentioned above

> > - tarfile + patchfile_21 + patchfile_32 creates some errors/fuzz
> > [because of already applied patches] - and users don't know for sure
> > if these patch-errors can be ignored.
> >
> > - patchfile for Buildsytem component would be a differet file - and
> > would need to applied differently
> >
> > - Its easier for us to re-generate the tarfile then create a patchfile
> >

> > Maybe for the next releae I'll see if I can also encode 'patchlevel'
> > in the tarfile-name & dirname [petsc-2.3.1-11.tar.gz,
> > PETSC_DIR=petsc-2.3.1-11]
>
> That would be great! Then we could tell users of DOLFIN that they need
> PETSc version so and so and it would be obvious which version they
> have downloaded. It is also the way all other projects I know of name
> their tarballs.

Here we are talking about patches to a stable release. DOLFIN should
still stick with specifying a 'release version'. - and not deal at
patch level.

We want folks to get the latest bugfixed patchlevel [not get stuck at
an old patchlevel as would be the case with the above
description]. This is one reason for not keeping older [patchlevel]
tarfiles arround...

Satish