Re: Functions for applying boundary conditions to the RHS vector only now accept the solution vector x. Where Dirichlet boundary conditions are applied, b = x - bc.The is useful for applying boundary conditions within Newton iterations. [...]

> I'm not sure how we want to deal with Neumann boundary conditions. In
> the simplest case, we don't have to deal with them at all, if they are
> a part of the variational form.

Isn't this the natural way to deal with Neumann bc? Just add a surface
integral to the variational form?

>> It would be nice to keep a simple BoundaryCondition class which doesn't
>> require
>> the user to think about the details of the iterative solution procedure.
>
> I agree.

Sound good. The user should not have to know too much of what is going on.
Ideally, using the non linear solver or not should just be a question of
switching it on/off, and then bc should be specified in a general way.

/Johan