Re: Version 0.6.0?

I think I've found the problem with static libraries. In configure.ac,
DOLFIN_LTLIBS should refer to all the *.lo files, which are located in
the same directories as the source code (see
http://sourceware.org/autobook/autobook/autobook_94.html).

Also, is the line

  libdolfin_la_DEPENDENCIES = @DOLFIN_LTLIBS@

in src/lib/Makefile.am required?

Garth

# Generate libtool library list (including also module code)
DOLFIN_LTLIBS=""
for f in $DOLFIN_MODULES; do
#  DOLFIN_LTLIBS="$DOLFIN_LTLIBS \
$(top_builddir)/src/modules/$f/libdolfin-$f.la "
   DOLFIN_LTLIBS="$DOLFIN_LTLIBS \$(top_builddir)/src/modules/$f/*.lo "
done
for f in $DOLFIN_KERNEL; do
#   DOLFIN_LTLIBS="$DOLFIN_LTLIBS \
$(top_builddir)/src/kernel/$f/libdolfin-$f.la "
    DOLFIN_LTLIBS="$DOLFIN_LTLIBS \$(top_builddir)/src/kernel/$f/*.lo "
done
AC_SUBST(DOLFIN_LTLIBS)

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 14:22 +0100, Johan Jansson wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 12:59:35PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:
> >

> > > I've just googled around some mailing lists, and it doesn't look like
> > > we're doing anything wrong. I'll try to link it manually and see if I
> > > can find out what goes wrong.
> > >

> > I've done a few test. If, in src/lib, I use /usr/bin/libtool instead
> > of ../../libtool, a static library is created. There is something
> > strange going on with the libtool settings.
> >
> > One I have a static library, if I link an executable with the flag
> > -static, things work.
> >
> > Garth
> >

> Ok, that's certainly strange. Could you send your /usr/bin/libtool?
>
> I can build a static library if I also build a shared library. Then
> libtool seems to extract the object files from the individual static
> libraries (using "ar x") and relink a new library. When only building
> a static library this doesn't happen and no object files are linked
> in.
>
>   Johan

Dr. Garth N. Wells
Faculty of Civil Engineering and Geosciences
Delft University of Technology
Stevinweg 1
2628 CN Delft
The Netherlands