Re: DOLFIN-stable

Garth N. Wells wrote:

Johan Jansson wrote:
On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 09:33:18PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:
Johan Jansson wrote:
On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 08:18:31PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:
This is how I see it. Can we agree for now on the structure

src/modules/solvers
src/modules/demo

? The compile time for the modules is annoying.

Garth

Ok, I've started fixing it in dolfin-stable. I've removed all the
obsolete solvers which should also reduce compile time.

I thought that dolfin-stable was only for bug fixes, and that it would be updated when a new development release is made? Shouldn't the change be made in the development version?
No, dolfin-stable keeps the kernel stable and is for module
development. The "dolfin" repository is for kernel development, and
should keep the modules stable to make sure nothing breaks which has
previously worked.

I think that it's better to make these types of changes in the development version. That way any changes will get some testing before reaching dolfin-stable. From experience, changes in the build system of are likely to cause problems and should be avoided in dolfin-stable.

Sorry, I see that no build system changes were made. I would still prefer all non-bug related changes to be make in dolfin, which will eventually propagate through to dolfin-stable.

It won't be possible to keep modules stable when making changes to the kernel. Interface in the kernel changes will affect modules.

Garth

Which modules did you remove? Some, like convection-diffusion, I would like to keep. These are useful for people that write a flow solver and want to solve an advection-diffusion problem with their flow field (saves them having to implement everything).
I removed all except navierstokes, elasticity-updated and plasticity
(the ones I didn't mark as obsolete before). I'll put it back since
you need it though.

This is what I mean with differentiating between pure equations and
solvers though. Does the convection-diffusion equation really require
a specialized solver? Can't it be implemented in a general way using
the TimeDependentPDE interface we have? Note that it also exists in
src/demo/pde/convection-diffusion.
I don't think that any non-bug changes should be made in stable as thay

Let's be pragmatic with the modules. I'm fine with Poisson being removed because it's trivial, but let's not be too hasty with the others. It would be great if advection-diffusion, for example, can be implemented via TimeDependentPDE, but we can still have it as a module. A user supply can some data and the module will return a solution. Most modules do require improvement to reach this level.