Re: DOLFIN-stable

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 10:05:02PM +0100, Johan Jansson wrote:

> The way I see modules is that they shouldn't exist at all. A module
> today is some equation- or domain-specific functions and
> algorithms. But the goal of FEniCS is that we shouldn't need
> equation-specific methods and algorithms.
> [...]

This is true, but we will always need the modules/solvers.

A solver is something that specifies a number of fixed parameters,
like which equation to solve, and allows a user to specify some
others.

This allows a user to solve say Navier-Stokes with a given right-hand
side on a given domain (and some other parameters).

If we didn't have the Navier-Stokes solver, one would need to at least
write down Navier-Stokes and we can't expect everyone to know that
(not to mention writing down the weak formulation including
stabilization etc).

So, in the end the modules could be very very short but they will still
be there.