Re: [FFC-dev] mixed dof numbering

Anders Logg wrote:
On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 09:32:13PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:
Anders Logg wrote:
On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 02:46:35PM +0100, Johan Hoffman wrote:
Johan Hoffman wrote:
About the global dof numbering for the different components in a
function
defined by a mixed element: I get the impression that we use a different
ordering for the mixed dofs than for the dofs of a regular vector valued
function?

I don't think so. For both mixed and vector elements, dofs at the same
node do not lie next to each other in the dof mapping.

It will be possible to choose the dof ordering soon when the new
assembly is  up and running. There is already a new class DofMap which
will handle this.

Garth
Generally, you can never be sure how the dofs are ordered. This could
potentially change between different versions of FFC or between
different form compilers. As long as the generated code follows the
UFC specification, the dof maps may be different.

This sounds strange. DofMap will provide the functionality to influence the dof mapping. UFC should provide the input to DofMap, but the user should then be able to manipulate it if they wish.

I don't mind documenting how FFC actually orders the dofs, but the
idea of the UFC interface is that one should not need to know intimate
details of FFC to work with the generated code.

What I'm trying to say is that a user should be able to influence the dof mapping through the public member functions of dolfin::DofMap. They don't need to know the details of FFC, or even UFC.