Re: dolfin-fsi

> On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 09:54:53AM +0100, Johan Jansson wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> We have several DOLFIN solver module and kernel developers in our
>> research group using DOLFIN at various levels. What we have seen is a
>> need for a version of DOLFIN which is maintained for module
>> development.
>>
>> Currently there are two public versions of DOLFIN we point people to:
>> the latest release and the latest development version (the tip of the
>> dolfin repository). We are now introducing dolfin-fsi, which is (and
>> will continue to be) a little bit behind the development tip, but
>> verified as working with the existing modules. This enables the use of
>> new features not present in the latest release, while giving the
>> stability needed for module development.
>>
>> The name "fsi" comes from fluid-structure interaction and is currently
>> the main focus of our module development. The name could very well
>> change. We can see this phase as a transition to where the solver
>> modules in DOLFIN will be split off into a separate package
>> "dolfin-modules".
>>
>> The recommended mode of operation is to develop solver modules against
>> the "dolfin-fsi" repository and kernel features against the "dolfin"
>> repository. The repositories will be synchronized at appropriate
>> points in time. This allows all DOLFIN developers to see what people
>> are doing with their solver modules, and makes it easier to identify
>> common issues and features.
>>
>> The dolfin-fsi repository can be accessed here:
>>
>> http://www.fenics.org/dev/dolfin-fsi
>>
>>   Johan
>
> What about dolfin-stable?
>
> Is it still maintained or dropped in favor of dolfin-fsi?
>
> /Anders

dolfin-stable still exists. dolfin-stable is simply the latest release
with backported bugfixes found in the further development of DOLFIN. So
rather than getting the latest release, it's better to get dolfin-stable.
But no new development will happen in dolfin-stable.

dolfin-stable can be accessed here:

http://www.fenics.org/hg/dolfin-stable

>From a functionality point of view, dolfin-stable has the functionality of
the latest release, while dolfin-fsi has functionality as near the
development tip as possible.

So from a solver module/application developer's point of view, if you want
to develop your application against the latest release of DOLFIN, get
dolfin-stable, and if you want to develop your application against the
development version of DOLFIN, get dolfin-fsi.