Re: dolfin-fsi

Johan Jansson wrote:
On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 09:54:53AM +0100, Johan Jansson wrote:
Hi!

We have several DOLFIN solver module and kernel developers in our
research group using DOLFIN at various levels. What we have seen is a
need for a version of DOLFIN which is maintained for module
development.

Currently there are two public versions of DOLFIN we point people to:
the latest release and the latest development version (the tip of the
dolfin repository). We are now introducing dolfin-fsi, which is (and
will continue to be) a little bit behind the development tip, but
verified as working with the existing modules. This enables the use of
new features not present in the latest release, while giving the
stability needed for module development.

The name "fsi" comes from fluid-structure interaction and is currently
the main focus of our module development. The name could very well
change. We can see this phase as a transition to where the solver
modules in DOLFIN will be split off into a separate package
"dolfin-modules".

The recommended mode of operation is to develop solver modules against
the "dolfin-fsi" repository and kernel features against the "dolfin"
repository. The repositories will be synchronized at appropriate
points in time. This allows all DOLFIN developers to see what people
are doing with their solver modules, and makes it easier to identify
common issues and features.

The dolfin-fsi repository can be accessed here:

http://www.fenics.org/dev/dolfin-fsi

  Johan
What about dolfin-stable?

Is it still maintained or dropped in favor of dolfin-fsi?

/Anders

dolfin-stable still exists. dolfin-stable is simply the latest release
with backported bugfixes found in the further development of DOLFIN. So
rather than getting the latest release, it's better to get dolfin-stable.
But no new development will happen in dolfin-stable.

dolfin-stable can be accessed here:

http://www.fenics.org/hg/dolfin-stable

But fixes are currently not being backported, so dolfin-stable is redundant.

Garth

From a functionality point of view, dolfin-stable has the functionality of
the latest release, while dolfin-fsi has functionality as near the
development tip as possible.

So from a solver module/application developer's point of view, if you want
to develop your application against the latest release of DOLFIN, get
dolfin-stable, and if you want to develop your application against the
development version of DOLFIN, get dolfin-fsi.